Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Basalt tank.

After oogling and drooling over the projects, purchasing and swatching yarn...I've finally started a project from Knitting Nature.

The Basalt tank.



I am really loving it.

As I cast on, I kept thinking...why is this not knit in the round.
I guess for pattern writing reasons, you knit it back and forth. The underarm sections must be knit back and forth...so why not just write it all that way.

Well, after finishing the first section, and sewing up the seam...I just don't know. Maybe I should have done it in the round. I started the second section and keep thinking about that big seam on the inside of the garment...not liking it.

I ripped what was the second section. Do I redo the first section? What if I start it and don't like the jog...well, I will try to make the garter stitch jogless.
What to do. I am going to try to live with the first section as is and attempt the other full sections in the round.
I guess.
Or maybe I will rip it all and tell you about it in the next post....

7 comments:

Laura said...

Ooh! I'm so excited to see you doing this! I really liked that tank too. It is so much fun to see people doing different patterns from this book.

Also, your shawl is really lovely. I'm glad you're keeping it for yourself. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, great choice!!! Such an interesting shape. If it helps you at all - I cannot tell which of the six "ribs" is hiding the seam :).

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to watching your progress on this tank -- it's a great design. I'm guessing you're going to keep the first section as is, but knit the remaining sections in the round.

Anonymous said...

Love the tank! Wish I had the body to wear it - no breasts and two prosthesis does not look terrific on low tanks!! Never mind, the battle scars prove that so far I am the victor!! I cannot tell which is the seam?

Anonymous said...

This is going to look so great, I'm really tempted to get this book, I've seen so many great knits started! :)

blissful said...

Have you decided what to do? I'm still wrapping my mind about the construction. (about the fabric labels -- heat setting with an iron seems to make them water resistant)

LisaB said...

Ooh it is looking great so far. I love your color choice.

I really, really need to go buy that book!